Call out: Business Accelerator
Do you have an exciting music business idea you’re hoping to get off the ground? Apply to join our Business Accelerator programme.
Business Accelerator is a free 9-week course for independents and freelancers looking to develop businesses. The programme combines group learning focused on topics like business models, pitching and digital storytelling, alongside one-to-one mentoring focused on your individual business idea. You’ll go away with a supportive network, lasting connections with other people in the industry, and the confidence to take your next business steps.
Who it’s for
As part of our mission to address inequalities in the music industry, this programme is open to:
- Women and people of marginalised genders (including trans, non-binary and gender non-conforming people)
- People based in, or with strong links to, the North of England (North East, North West and Yorkshire regions)
You may already be self-employed or have registered your business. Or you might be a new entrepreneur that wants to take the next steps. All we ask is that you’re determined and committed to your own development.
We are open to any music business idea, and are particularly interested in hearing from people who want to impact and make a difference to the music industry. In the last round we supported a range of projects including independent record labels, artist development initiatives, wellbeing resources for musicians and woodwind repair.
To apply you should be 18+.
Group sessions will be led by inspiring business leaders including Naomi Timperley, Remi Harris and Tamara Gal-On. They’ll cover topics such as:
- How to create a personal Business Model
- How to tackle imposter syndrome, befriend your inner critic and build confidence
- Personal branding, and how to stand out in a crowded industry
- Business Basics, from tax and legal issues to setting rates of pay and breaking even
- Digital Storytelling across websites, social media and more
- Selling your products and services, including promotion and negotiation tactics
- Pitching ideas, including creating a 5 minute elevator pitch for your own business
Group workshops will take place every Wednesday for 9 weeks, between 21 September and 23 November. They will take place between 9.30-11am online (via Zoom) with the following exceptions:
- First session – 21 September, 10am-3pm, in-person (Manchester)
- Final session – 23 November, 12-3pm, in-person (Manchester)
You’ll also receive 6 one-to-one mentoring sessions which we’ll arrange with you.
If you can’t make all of the dates and times that’s totally fine. Let us know when applying which dates you can’t make, or can only make some of.