Sounding DiY + Toni Quiroga Workshop
From e-waste to sound device
During this workshop you will learn how to turn parts of e-waste and trash into functional primitive sound devices. Through the vivisection of dead media devices you will learn how to extract valuable components (like motors, VU meters, integrated circuits, transistors and other raw materials) and reuse them in order to build a primitive and idiosyncratic instrument. We will build fully recycled electronic gadgets powered through alternative and ecologically sustainable methods integrating our own body residuals into the process (if you want to). The idea is to get a better understanding of new media through the excavation of the old and obsolete by highlighting the nonlinear history within those devices.
You will learn:
– Genealogy of specific electronic components and media
– Media history as a nonlinear history
– Some principles of electronic engineering
– Reading schematics
– Troubleshooting techniques
– Building a primitive, organic and sustainable battery incorporating our own body residues
– Repurposing waste materials to create a primitive and idiosyncratic noise machine.
After the workshop you will have fully working and recycled idiosyncratic sound device built entirely by yourself and from the scratch !
– All materials and devices included in the price. If you have broken, CD-, DVD- Player’s, hard discs, nails, copper, aluminium or zinc residuals lying around at home, don’t hesitate in bringing them with you! We will need that!