Pitch us Things!
10 January 2022
We are looking to commission paid written and audio editorial in the coming weeks.
Do you have an idea for a feature, interview, or essay about new music and sounds in the UK or more broadly? We want to hear from you.
We are particularly interested in current topics: the approaching LGBTQI+ History Month, International Women’s Day, as well as more broadly relevant topics, for example about black presence or history in new music, the climate crisis, emerging perspectives on disability and music-making in post-covid UK, indigenous new music, new technologies and the future of new music, and so on.
Our editorial content explores the people, places, sounds, and emerging issues in the new music landscape. Composers today are looking and responding to the world around them in fascinating new ways, working in new ways and crossing many boundaries — we think this amazing buzz of activity deserves coverage that is sharp, accessible and up-to-date.
We pay £80/1,000 words fro written editorial and £175 per 6-10 minute audio editorial.
If you’d like to write for us, you can pitch your ideas to our team by emailing Laonikos on Laonikos.PC@soundandmusic.org
In your pitch you should include:
- A topic, title, or idea you’d like to write about
- Keep it short (one paragraph)
- Keep it clear and direct — it’s easiest for us to consider your pitch when it is direct (e.g. “I have noticed elements of power abuse in improvisational settings and I think this is important to write about“) rather than generic (e.g. “I would like to write about improvisation.“). If you don’t have a super clear idea of what the final writing will be about, we can help focus your ideas for a written piece if you have a general direction.
- Examples of previous written work (where applicable) or, if not, what makes you a good person to be writing about the proposed topic
- Social media handles
- Editorial, proofreading support as well as helping sharpen the focus of your writing if you find that useful
- A fee:
- £80 per 1,000 words (most pieces in the 1,200-1,800 range) for written editorial
- £175 per audiozine episode (expectation of 6-10 minutes) for audio editorial
- Publishing your piece on our platforms and newsletters (6,000 combined subscribers with Sound and Music)
We generally don’t commission editorial which is about your own work or self-promo, for example about your latest album, a review of your own performance, or just sharing your processes, unless this has a much broader reach and will interest a wide range of readers.
We’d love to hear from you! IF you are unsure if this opportunity is for you, just email us and we can have an informal chat.
Laonikos / The Sampler Team